Like a Boss

Interested in getting hired by Fortune-something companies and catching the interest of successful CEOs?   I am.  After four years of experience, I've finally learned the true goal of most business schools- getting students hired.

So I'm here to share a few tips for getting yourself noticed.  I've paid something close to $30,000 dollars for these-  You just happen to get them for free :)

1. Your resume.  Who out there thinks they have a pretty decent looking resume?  I know I DID.  Until it was torn to pieces by my professors.  Your resume is the first thing employers look at, and should be pristine unless you want it immediately thrown in the trash.  To be more specific- don't simply list job duties.  Communicate the benefits.  Also, quantify as much as possible.  And finally, your sections should be specific.  If you have specific experience, sayyyy in marketing, list that as Marketing Experience.  Trust me, it helps.  

2.  LinkedIn.  Think of it as Facebook for the recruiting world.  If you don't have one, get one.  You can find mine using the tab at the top of the page for an example.  

3.  Network.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard this.  I actually just got back from a networking event tonight.  If you prefer the old-fashioned way of applying online for your dream job, it MAY work.  But the hands down best way to get your foot in the door is networking.  Make friends with the hiring manager, or even the receptionist.  It's not what you know, it's who you know.  


Good luck Everyone, and Happy Job Hunting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment